Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Read, read, read" ( ~ William Faulker)

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~


Our school year has just begun and we are all slowly learning our new routine. For me, this looks like waking up earlier than I want to and heading out to the gym. I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled to be using an alarm clock again, but it is what it is. I am happy to have a workout buddy, and to feel like I am making some progress toward my goal of finishing the Warrior Dash this coming May. I really don't want to have to skip any of the 11 obstacles because of physical ability, so going to the gym is very very necessary, however early it is when I get there.

Our new routine also includes the addition of 2 new bookclubs, one for me and one for Sydney. This means that 3 out of 4 of us are in a bookclub now - I think my love of reading is filtering down :)



This month Nicholas will be reading Jeffrey Strangeways by Jill Murphey. We haven't started yet, so I really need to make it a priority as his bookclub meets in just 2 weeks. We are still reading his books together and I like the quality time it gives us.





Sydney was the hostess for the younger bookclub and her selection was Princess Hyacinth: the Surpriseing Tale of a Girl Who Floated. This was the first meeting for the new group, so I was really unsure of how it would go or what to do. Being me, I tied the snack into the story - popcorn and tea turned into popcorn and apple juice served in tea cups. I also transformed Sydney's Chutes & Ladders game into a story themed game of Kites & Balloons. 16 children showed up for the meeting and it went really well - I think this is going to be a great group!


Not to be out read by our children, our group now has a moms bookclub as well. Classic books for classy moms :) I mentioned to a friend that I was going to read Emma by Jane Austen and that is now our first pick. I am really looking forward to being able to read classic literature and discuss with this bright bunch of friends that I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by.


Photobucket

No comments: