Monday, January 12, 2009

Week 1: Finding Our Way


Week 1 flew by! It's amazing to me that there is more time, and yet, there is less.


We started off a slow pace, as is recommended for new homeschoolers who are "deschooling" as a way to transition into homeschooling. The main focus right now is Nic's self-esteem. He has spent so much time feeling like a failure, and I want to un-do that. So for week 1 I chose subjects and projects that he would enjoy and succeed in.


Nicholas has always been intriqued by the brain model in his neurologists office, so I found a small similar model that was a puzzle and made for children his age and above. It took us some time to assemble, but now he has something cool on display in our dining room turned school room! Later he can keep it in his room even. To go along with it we read "AHA! The Most Interesting Book You'll Ever Learn About Intelligence" which was really a fun book. It has bright illustrations and a lot of "do it yourself" mini-quizzes. We found that I am a reader this week and Nicholas learns best when hearing or doing hands-on. I think I knew that all along, but the tests were fun and I think he felt special after each one.

This week we also started on a new book, James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. I read aloud, mostly while laying in my bed with both children listening, as well as 2 of the 3 animals hahaha. Its quite fun family time. I am really liking the togetherness of homeschool. I think Nic is enjoying and thriving as well. Not every day is perfect, but what ever is? I feel like we made the best decision for our family, it really just feels right.

No comments: