Monday, January 19, 2009

James and the Giant Peach



We have finished our reading of James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. After reading the book, we borrowed the Disney film from the library. Nicholas, Sydney and I all enjoyed both the book and the movie! This book was recommended by Aunt Hayley, its a childhood favorite of hers. I had never read it before, so this adventure was new to us all.

Since Nic is such a hands on kid, I decided to give us a fun project to do relating to the book. Nic had a lot of fun doing a shoebox display of his favorite book last school year during spring break (Spiderwick Chronicles at the time) that I decided to do the same thing for James and the Giant Peach. Of course the Styrofoam ball we found for a peach required we get a much bigger box hahaha. Nicholas painted the ball peach first, to which Sydney wondered where her peach was :) I will need to start having a toddler version of projects ready for her, as she is enjoying homeschool as much as he is. She did learn to use a glue stick this week, my little shining pupil hahaha. Anyways, some of the characters are made from egg crates, pom-poms and "fuzzy sticks" (the new name for pipe cleaners apparently). Others were hand drawn and cut by Nic. He also drew the ocean line and shark fin. We used bits of various blue papers and felt for the water. I think the finished project is pretty cute and we had a lot of fun talking about the book while we were making it!


Our next reading adventure: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Love your blog, Christin! I am excited to see what you guys are doing. I'm sorry that I still haven't been able to email you with some of my info, but as I am sure you are finding out, when you are homeschooling it seems that there are never enough hours in the day.

One thing I can point you to, if you are willing to make the drive once a month, is the Gwinnett Environment and Heritage Center has a homeschool science program. It is only $15 for the lessons, one per month. Noah has been doing this since we started and he really likes it. You should be able to find some info on their website.

Let me know if you have a specific question or need and I will do my best to get some of my info to you as soon as I get a chance.

:)